Cell Battery Testing
Arbin Instruments’ LBT Series battery test equipment is engineered for high-precision results to identify early trends in battery data. Each channel provides four current ranges with industry-leading 24-bit resolution, and channels are fully parallelable to increase the current handling capability when needed. Ultra-fast data logging and dynamic data acquisition make Arbin’s cell battery testing systems ideal for a wide range of applications.
Why Battery Researchers Rely on Arbin Test Equipment
- Arbin's LBT, RBT-Cell, and HPS battery test systems provide state-of-the-art battery test performance.
- Arbin offer battery test solutions starting from small benchtop models, up to Gigafactory-scale testing with remote management & control, and network database solutions.
- The Arbin MITS testing software suite allows clients to grow from laboratory materials research to industrial battery test applications and production in a single platform.
- All Arbin battery test equipment is safe and robust with multiple layers of safety protections and dedicated microcontrollers for each channel module.
- Comprehensive options and accessories are available to expand and complete any cell test lab.
All-Purpose Cell Testing
- Arbin's LBT is the workhorse for every test lab providing unmatched value. The 24-bit resolution is a 256x improvement, and 100ppm precision is a greater than 10x improvement over traditional battery cyclers enabling battery managers and researchers to identify early trends and small changes in the battery data.
|5V and 10V models
|(0~10A), up to 500A+
|8 to 512+
Regenerative Cell Testing
- Arbin’s RBT - Cell series combines high-precision measurement and regenerative technology to reduce the overall energy cost of your testbed. This innovative technology enables researchers and scientists to generate reliable and repeatable data without compromising on results in the pursuit of energy efficiency.
|6V, 10V, & 20V models
|100A up to 1,600A
|16 - 64+ Channels
- Arbin's HPS is true ultra-high precision battery test equipment. The performance is state-of-the-art giving researchers the best tool available to measure the elcectrical characteristics of their battery. This includes high precision coulombic efficiency and other techniques to identify the smallest changes in battery metrics.
|(-6) to 6V
|up to 5A
Solutions for Cell Battery Testing Applications
Arbin Instruments’ cell battery testing solutions include testing systems for the following applications:
- Electrochemistry, Battery & Supercapacitor Materials Research
- Half-Cell, Full-Cell, and Symmetric-Cell Testing; including three-electrode cells
- Quality Control for incoming or outgoing cells with the precision to identify trends earlier than other testers
- Life Cycle Testing
- Coulombic Efficiency (HPCE) Measurements. Arbin's HPS Series offers industry-leading ultra-high precision to see the smallest changes and details in the data.
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Cell Testing including custom drive cycle simulations, HPPC testing, and international safety standards
- EIS (Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy) Option for all Cell Testers
Importance of Precision
This plot illustrates the difference between an Arbin battery tester and another leading manufacturer. The first of the two distinct dips in the plot may have been missed using inferior test equipment. While many companies try to sell the same legacy equipment for over a decade, Arbin has been hard at work improving our designs to meet future industry demands. We learned a lot during our three year ARPA-E project to develop high-current high-precision testers, and have implemented this new technology in our LBT, RBT-Cell, and HPS test equipment series. The HPS ultra-high precision systems represent our premium product, but LBT is superior to other standard testers on the market.
Measurement precision is more critical for long‐term battery testing and long‐term battery projections than control accuracy alone. Most other battery testing systems do not correctly specify their precision and/or have relatively poor precision, which hinder the conclusions drawn from results data. Important trends and electrochemical indicators may remain unnoticed; lost in the measurement noise as illustrated at right.
What Affects Test Equipment Precision
Resolution of DAC
Resolution of ADC
Non-linearity of calibration
Short-term drift (temperature)
Long-term drift (material characteristics)
Arbin Test Equipment Improvements
Improved Software Algorithms
New Methods of Thermal Management
New Patented Shunt Design
New Method of Time Keeping
Auxiliaries and Optional Accessories Available to Enhance Testing
Arbin's MZTC "Multi-Chamber" provides 8 fully independent mini-temperature chambers to isolate cells under test.
Add a Gamry EIS unit or Arbin ACIM module that is shared across up to 32 test channels (each).
Battery Holders and Racks
A variety of racks and battery holder are available for all cell types for an organized test environment.
EIS (electrochemical impedance spectroscopy) is an optional module to add to Arbin test systems to further enhance their capability. Each EIS module can be shared/used by up to 32 Arbin test channels. EIS data is synchronized with Arbin test data.
Compatible EIS modules include:
- Gamry 1010E
- Gamry 5000E
- Gamry Ref 3000
- Arbin ACIM module
Arbin offers an optional AutoCal module which can be used to re-calibrate the system when needed. All Arbin test equipment include a calibration interface as standard that can use an external meter to check or perform re-calibration. The AutoCal module is used to automate this process and will function without the need for an external meter.
NOTE: Arbin recommends equipment calibration is checked annually and re-calibrated as-needed.
AutoCal modules are available rated up to 200A, and High precision shunts are also available to use up to 600A.
Talk to an Expert
Our dedicated and professional support team is ready to help with your support-related questions. Click on the link below to fill out the online Quote Request Form or contact our Sales Team via email or phone.