Cell Voltage up to 10V
Cell Current up to 2500A
Ability to test up to 96 cells with a single chassis.
Arbin offers supercapacitor testing systems for basic charge/discharge cycling, and simulating complex real-world applications such as drive profiles, telecomm pulses, or other custom profiles.
Arbin’s LBT product series commercializes technology established during a 3‐year ARPA E project developing ultra‐high precision testing systems. This product consists of independent potentiostat, galvanostat channels for testing supercapacitors and other electrochemical devices, and is intended to provide an economical solution for applications requiring high‐precision measurements, fast data sampling, and fast rise times. All Arbin testing systems come with a PC preloaded with our MITS 7 and Data Watcher software for creating test profiles, real‐time data monitoring, and data plotting and analysis.
- Charge/Discharge Cycling
- Online DC-ESR Measurements
- Injection EPR Leakage Current Measurements
- Dynamic Leakage Current Measurement
- Self-Discharge Voltage Monitoring
- Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR)
- Pulse Voltage Drop
- Capacitance Calculation and Discharge
Measurement Resolution: 24-bit (1 part in 16,777,216)
Measurement Precision: <25ppm or <100ppm
Control Accuracy: <0.01% or <0.02%
Minimum Step Time: 5ms
Data Logging Rate: 2000 points per second, per system
Connection for PC: TCP/IP (Ethernet)
Ventilation Method: air-cooled with variable speed fans
- Fully independent high precision test channels with full potentiostatic, galvanostatic control
- Uses true Bipolar Linear circuitry providing cross‐zero linearity and zero switching time between charge and discharge. This is critical for supercap testing
- Each channel provides 4 or more current ranges with industry‐leading 24‐bit resolution
- Powerful embedded controllers provide fast data logging (2000 points per second, per system ) and control flexibility for the most advanced test requirements
- Any number of channels can be operated in parallel for increased current‐handling capacity
- A wide array of auxiliary inputs/outputs are available for additional data collection or control such as temperature monitoring, additional reference electrodes, and more
- Arbin’s advanced software package, MITS 7.0, provides flexible scheduling, a user‐friendly interface, distributed system control, and data acquisition
- Software provides easy data analysis and plotting based in Data Watcher and Microsoft Excel
- Allows integration with a Gamry EIS module for performing scanning AC impedance measurements
- Multiple levels of fusing are provided inside the system for protection as the channel/board and power supply levels.
- Each channel module has a fully redundant microcontroller dedicated for safety monitoring.
- Arbin’s software has safety functions for entire tests, and for individual steps within a test to help the user avoid overcharging, over‐discharging, over‐heating, etc.
- Tests begin with a built‐in safety check of all control values.
Arbin Instruments provides a wide variety of auxiliary modules for expanding the capability of the main charge/discharge control circuitry. Modules can either be placed in the main chassis, or in a small external chassis. This also makes it easy to add auxiliary options to existing systems.
EIS – Interface for an approved 3rd party EIS module to allow EIS measurements without changing connections.
Auxiliary Voltage – Used as additional reference electrodes to measure voltage.
Temperature Thermocouple/Thermistor – Used to record temperature as well as control the test schedule
MTCI (Chamber Interface) – Interface with a 3rd party temperature chamber so Arbin software can turn chamber on/off and adjust temperature
LCC (Life Cycle Chamber) – Arbin offers a small temp. chamber designed to operate between 10 and 60C
Digital I/O – Send and receive a simple on/off signal to interact with external devices.
Analog I/O – Control any device operating on a 0(2)‐10V signal.
Auto‐Calibration – Channels may be calibrated automatically when connected to an appropriate digital multimeter (sold separately).
CANBus – Communicate with internal pack circuitry using CANBus protocols.
UPS – Uninterrupted power supply for PC so tests can resume automatically after brief power outages.
Battery Connections – A variety of battery holders are available for coincells, cylindrical cells, flat/pouch cells, and more.
RSMS – Fully redundant safety monitoring systems that can disconnect the device being tested in case of failure.
Shunt – high-precision shunt may be used for calibration of your Arbin system.
|Model||Voltage Range||Current Ranges||Model||Voltage Range||Current Ranges|
|HPT-100mA||0 to 5V||100mA/10mA/1mA/100uA||PHPT-50A||0 to 5V||50A/10A/1A/100mA|
|HPT-1A||0 to 5V||1A/100mA/10mA/1mA||PHPT-200A||0 to 5V||200A/50A/10A/1A/100mA|
|HPT-5A||0 to 5V||5A/1A/100mA/10mA||NOTE: All HPT models can achieve better than 50ppm CE precision|
|LBT ±5V – 200mA||(-5) to 5V||200mA/10mA/1mA/100μA||LBT 5V – 25A||0 to 5V||25A/10A/1A/100mA|
|LBT ±5V – 1A||(-5) to 5V||1A/50mA/2mA/100μA||LBT 5V – 50A||0 to 5V||50A/10A/1A/100mA|
|LBT ±5V – 5A||(-5) to 5V||5A/500mA/20mA/1mA||LBT 5V – 100A||0 to 5V||100A/10A/1A/100mA|
|LBT ±5V – 10A||(-5) to 5V||10A/500mA/20mA/1mA||LBT 5V – 200A||0 to 5V||200A/10A/1A/100mA|
|LBT 5V – 5A||0 to 5V||5A/500mA/20mA/1mA||LBT 5V – 300A||0 to 5V||300A/10A/1A/100mA|
|LBT 5V – 10A||0 to 5V||10A/500mA/20mA/1mA||LBT 5V – 500A||0 to 5V||500A/10A/1A/100mA|
|Custom LBT Model Up to 10V Up to 2500A|
Importance of Precision
This plot illustrates the difference between Arbin and another leading manufacturer. The two distinct dips in the plot may have been missed using an inferior tester. While many companies try to sell the same antiquated equipment for over a decade, Arbin has been hard at work improving our designs to meet future industry demands. We learned a lot during our three year ARPA-E project and have implemented this new technology in our LBT and HPT product series. The HPT systems represent our premium product, but LBT is superior to all other standard testers on the market.
Please see our HPT Product Series to learn more.
What Affects Tester Precision
Arbin Tester Improvements
Measurement precision is more critical for long‐term testing and long‐term projections than control accuracy alone. Most other battery testing systems do not correctly specify their precision and/or have relatively poor precision, which hinder the conclusions drawn from results data. Important trends and electrochemical indicators may remain unnoticed; lost in the measurement noise as illustrated above.
Our hope is that these higher degrees of measurement precision will lead to new discoveries and characterization metrics across the energy storage industry for all organizations, not only those looking at coulombic efficiency as a key indicator.